When the whole world comes together to cheer on their beloved teams in the greatest soccer tournament in the world, no one expects that the end result might end up in a tie-breaker. But what actually happens then when the long-awaited, nail-biting championship match of the Fifa World Cup ends in a draw? Here we look at the rules, regulations and outcomes that happen when the final whistle signals a draw.
1. The Atrocious Incident: The Tied World Cup
The Tied World Cupmatch: A Much Discussed Match Throughout History
The 1975 World Cup was a match to behold. As one of the most iconic matches of all time, thousands of people, from across the world, can recall the tie between England and West Germany, with vividly details stories about the moments of the game.
The game started off with West Germany taking the initial lead, scoring early on in the first half. Without any response from England, West Germany continued to dominate, constantly creating easy opportunities. It looked like West Germany had it in the bag. However, minutes before the match ended, England scored an equalizer, and in the end, a tie. To put it simply, it was an incredibly dramatic moment.
The aftermath of the match brought about much debate. Some people were calling for golden goal rule, as a result of the game, but it did not come to fruition. In the end, the World Cup – the tie – was one of the most shocking highlights in World Cup history :
- It was the first World Cup to be aired on live television throughout Europe.
- It proved the strength and tenacity of football players, regardless of class or creed.
- It created an illusion that a drawn match can often be as important as a win.
- It was a re-evaluation of competitive play. It taught people that results do not always matter, what matters is the effort shown on the pitch.
It is interesting to think about this match, and the implications of the game, over forty years later.
2. The Aftermath of Such a Horrifying Event
The impact of such a terrifying event lingers in people’s minds for a long time. After the immediate shock subsides and the dust begins to settle, people have to take a long, hard look at the damage to their community and the future. Here’s how the aftermath of a horrible experience plays out:
- Facing Loss: Those immediately impacted by the event are in shock, struggling to grapple with the personal costs of such a tragedy. People have to face their losses and begin to rebuild with heavy hearts.
- Dealing with Emotional Trauma: Even those far removed from the situation may have to deal with emotional trauma. Learn to be able to recognize and cope with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), depression, and anxiety that comes with the experience.
- Rebuilding: After the process of mourning, it’s time to rebuild. Communities must come together to find solutions, develop prevention systems, and ensure that the event doesn’t keep happening.
- Taking Action: To move beyond such a traumatic experience, it’s important to take action and drive change. This can mean joining local reform organizations, petitioning, making donations to aid those affected, or becoming a part of the larger conversation.
In the aftermath of a terrifying situation, it’s important to reach out to loved ones, be kind, and recognize the losses and struggles that come with such a horrific experience. Being open and vocal about how to affect change can build a better future for everyone.
3. Understanding the Rules that Govern a Tied World Cup
Soccer is known for its unpredictable nature, which makes the World Cup even more exciting. But, when it comes to the tie-breakers within a game, soccer relies strictly on structure and rules to decide the outcome of matches, competitions, and tournaments. Here’s a quick breakdown of what you need to know about determining the winner of a tied World Cup.
- Group Play Stages – At the Group Play stage, each team earns three points for a win or one point for a draw. To decide which two teams move onto the knockout stages, the federation looks at the points each team earned in their group as well as the goal differential.
- Knockout Stage – For the Knockout Stage, teams compete in a single-elimination tournament. If two teams are tied at the end of a match, the game goes into extra time. This means the teams will continue to play two 15-minute periods and then penalty kicks will decide the winner.
- Final Match – If the teams are still tied at the end of the final match, the game then goes to a penalty shootout. This is where the players from each team take up to five penalty kicks in attempt to score the most goals and win the World Cup.
Understanding the rules that govern the World Cup is essential if you want to keep up with all the action. With a limited amount of time and tight regulations, ties can be resolved in a fair amount of time while ensuring the winner is the team who truly deserves it.
Though it may seem complicated at first, once you understand the rules of each stage, you’ll be able to root for your favorite teams with confidence and know when the winning team will be crowned.
4. How to Avoid Such an Undesirable Outcome
The first step to avoid disaster is to understand credit. It’s important to know the do’s and don’ts so that when credit is used, it is done in a responsible way.
- Do use credit for necessary purchases, like medical bills or large expenses
- Don’t use credit for luxuries, like vacations or new cars
- Do pay off your credit cards in full each month
- Don’t only make the minimum payments on your credit cards
Get Free Financial Advice
The second step to avoid a bad financial outcome is to find free financial advice. Whether online or in-person, there are networks, courses, and apps to give people the insight and knowledge needed to make smart financial decisions.
- Look to industry veterans or certified financial advisors for the best information on the subject.
- Visit personal finance websites for blog posts and forums.
- Check out local financial courses and seminars.
- Enroll in online classes to expand your knowledge.
Set a Budget
The third step to avoid a financial disaster is to set a budget. Knowing what is coming in and going out helps individuals stay on track and know where they can and can’t spend.
- Record all monthly income and expenses.
- Choose which expenses are necessary and which can be avoided.
- Create a savings plan to handle unexpected costs.
- Track expenses regularly to ensure that one’s income is not exceeded.
Practice Patience and Discipline
The last step to avoid an undesirable outcome is to practice patience and discipline. It takes hard work to be a responsible consumer and know when and how to use credit.
- Take time to think before making financial decisions.
- Research options and choose the most cost-effective option.
- Seek advice from companies and financial professionals.
- Save money before spending it.
5. Recalling Other Similar Incidents in the Past
While the situation before us is novel and unprecedented, we can take solace in looking back at similar incidents in the past. It is not uncommon that decisions were taken and remedies explored when presented with a problem, and it helps to take lessons from these examples of how best to act:
Learn from What Has Succeeded
- In 2001, the city authorities of Denmark successfully implemented a plan to reduce air pollution. After introducing pollution- cutting vehicles and incentivizing clean energy, the plan achieved its goals.
- several major cities in the US implemented traffic light synchronisation to reduce rush hour congestion. This tactic was found to be effective in improving the city’s flow and reduce the amount of time people spend in traffic.
- While many cities in the developing world lack the infrastructure to support such solutions, some cities have managed to successfully reduce pollution using the age-old method of tree-planting drives.
Learn from What Has Failed
- In 2017, the Dutch government launched a high-tech campaign, hoping to reduce the amount of litter on the streets. The campaign, however, failed in its mission due to the high cost of implementation and the fact that littering is a cultural problem that can’t be reduced through technology alone.
- In order to combat their water crisis, the government of Thailand sought to implement a smart water grid. Unfortunately, the project didn’t take into account the reality of water distribution in the country and the project was scrapped.
- Similarly, a public bike-sharing scheme was unsuccessful for the city of Bangalore, due to the large population and the lack of enforcement of the policies leading to maintenance issues.
It’s important to remember that the past is a valuable indicator for the future, and the solutions of yesterday can be applied remixes to today’s problems. The idea is not to blindly copy what has been done, but to understand what worked and what didn’t in order to make the best decision.
External feedback can be a great addition to our search for the right solution. Conversing with experts in the field should be the first step to identify potential options and gain knowledge on the potential effects of each.
6. The Unexpected Silver Lining of a Tied World Cup
The 2018 FIFA World Cup final turned out to be a historic draw that left both France and Croatia without a winner. While the tie frustrated millions of sports fans around the world, it also presented a few silver linings that are often overlooked.
No Debate Around Who Was Truly the Best
- With the tournament going to extra time and resulting in a draw, there can be no debate over who was truly the most dominant team.
- The lack of a winner ended any chance of inconclusive arguments over a team’s performance.
- The tie resulted in a more transparent result, accepting the fact that both teams came up equal.
Turning Defeat Into a Valuable Lesson
- Having to face a tie in the final can be a difficult experience for many of those involved.
- Participants may level criticism at either themselves or others, or both.
- The tie instead is an opportunity to find motivation and growth from the experience, motivating the players to focus on areas of their game where they can improve.
Promoting Equality Across the Sport
- The tie not only enforced an important message of fairness, but also highlighted great sportsmanship on the pitch.
- It pushed to eliminate the attitude focused on the need for a winner and instead celebrate the effort put in by both sides.
- It is a reminder that all results are possible in the world of soccer, and that teams must always expect the unexpected.
Preserving the Reputation of the World Cup
- This rare occurrence preserved the status of the World Cup as an elite and highly competitive event.
- The tie also demonstrated that international anti-gay laws of Russia have had no impact on the outcome of the game, as female fans did not have any influence on the pitch.
- This in a way helped to remind viewers that the main focus of the event is still soccer.
7. Preparing for the Inevitable: What to Expect When the World Cup Ends in a Tie
Odds of a Tie
World Cup matches typically end in decisive wins or draws, though the possibility of a tie score happening is minimized by the introduction of extra time and penalty shootouts. However, ties do occasionally occur, and have a much higher likelihood in group games where a draw may benefit both teams.
In some sense, we should consider the possibility of a tie game if a World Cup match is close and time is running out. Referees, players, and spectators must all remain aware of the possibility and ready to act in the event of a tie.
If the game ends in a tie score, it’s important to consider the match from a goal-scoring standpoint. Each team would be awarded the same amount of points, but the records of the team’s goals should be recorded.
- The goalscorers for each team should be identified.
- The total goals acquired by each team should be noted.
- All of this should be done for either the tie game or the team’s overall record.
Ties are inevitable in any tournament. For World Cup games, the outcome of a tie could potentially have far-reaching consequences. Depending on how many teams are tied in points, a tie could mean fewer chances for a team to advance. As such, a tie can be both good and bad, depending on the perspective.
What to Expect
When a World Cup match ends in a tie, referees, players, and spectators should all expect a thorough review of each team’s goal records and an assessment of the implications of the tie score. Players should be aware of the possible repercussions of a tie and be prepared to play extra time or a penalty shootout if necessary.
As the final whistle blew, a hush descended on the stadium as the game ended in a tie. The result was a bittersweet conclusion to the historic tournament, providing both teams equal parts success and disappointment. Ultimately, what this world cup has taught us is that excitement and suspense never truly end. Whether on the pitch or off the pitch, this past world cup will continue to be talked about for years to come.