When it comes to the holidays, December 12th is a date that shouldn’t be forgotten. Whether you are looking to start your holiday shopping, attending a holiday party, or simply reflecting on a significant event, December 12th holds special importance. For many, its importance may be overlooked, yet understanding when and why to celebrate this important date can be life-changing. Let’s take a closer look at December 12th and all it has to offer!
1. Celebrate December 12th: Why This Day Is Special
December 12th is celebrated all over the world for many reasons. Here are a few of them:
- The Virgin of Guadalupe Day – The Virgin of Guadalupe is an important figure in the Roman Catholic faith and is widely celebrated in Mexico. On December 12th, missionaries and pilgrims from all over the world go to the Virgin of Guadalupe Basilica and commemorate this special day.
- Discovery of America – On December 12th, 1492, Christopher Columbus arrived in the New World. He made multiple voyages from Spain, resulting in the eventual discovery of America, marking a pivotal point in world history.
- Independence of Panama – On December 12th, 1903, Panama declared its independence from Colombia. This momentous event is celebrated each year with various parades, concerts, and other gatherings.
- Thai National Day – In 1949, the Siamese Revolution ended and the country of Thailand was established on December 12th. This day is typically celebrated with festivities that celebrate and commemorate the nation.
So, anyone around the world can celebrate this special day in memory of the occurrences and events that took place. Many people reflect on the history and progress we have made since then, as well as take pride in our many achievements.
December 12th also serves as an opportunity to celebrate unity and oneness. People of all different faiths come together to commemorate this day, bringing joy and peace to the world. It is a day dedicated to celebrate culture, faith, and the hard work and determination of the people who strive to make the world a better place.
The day is celebrated by people from all around the globe, every year focusing on celebrating the life, culture and achievements that unify us as a whole. So, mark your calendars and let’s come together to celebrate December 12th!
2. Mark This Date: Celebrating December 12th Around the World
Throughout the world, the 12th of December is celebrated in numerous ways. From nation-wide holidays to heartfelt traditions, December 12th is a date to recognize throughout the globe.
Great Britain: The British Isles recognize December 12th as the feast day of Saint Laodegarius. Laodegarius was a young farmer who, upon hearing a sermon delivered by the Bishop of Lyre, was so moved by the words that he thought he was hearing directly from the mouth of God. According to legend, he was suddenly filled with knowledge, thus spreading the gospel throughout Western Gaul.
Japan: In Japan, December 12th is known as “Takinobori” day. Takinobori is a unique cultural event where people gather to make wishes come true. As tradition dictates, they climb a fabled staircase flown from the heavens on this day and their wishes will be granted.
The United States: In the United States, December 12th is celebrated as Poinsettia Day. This special holiday is in tribute of the botanist Robert Poinsett, who popularized the plant into the US during the 19th century. To honor him, it is customary to hold a special dinner party featuring traditional foods like:
- Chocolate mole
- Chili con carne
- Salsa and chips
These are just a few of the ways December 12th is celebrated around the world. Whether it be a traditional religious observation, or a modern holiday, the 12th of December is a date to be enjoyed and remembered by all.
3. Digging Deeper into December 12th’s Meaning and History
December 12th has been an important day for many centuries, beginning with the incorporation of Friuli, Italy, into the Roman Empire in 177 BC. From then on, this day has had immense social and cultural significance for many countries around the world.
For example, in India, December 12th marks the celebration of Gurupurb. This is a time for honouring and remembering Guru Nanak, the founder of the Sikh faith, and follows his death in 1539. Similarly, in Slovakia, this is an annual celebration of the founding of their independent republic in 1992.
December 12th is also a date that has hosted important historical moments on smaller scales.
- In 1972, NASA launched Apollo 17 to the Moon, the last of America’s lunar missions.
- In 1997, Bill Gates launched the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- In 2001, Apple Inc. launched the first iPod.
While December 12th of today may be like any other unremarkable day, its history and cultural symbolism is something that we should all appreciate and remember.
4. 15 Unique Ways to Celebrate December 12th
December 12th is significant for a lot of different reasons, so why not celebrate it in your own special way? Here are 15 unique ideas to commemorate the occasion:
- Send a Poem. Use this special day to send a poem to someone you care about. Whether it’s about the gentle winter winds or the beauty of the snow, the person will appreciate your thoughtfulness.
- Decorate a Tree. Take some time to decorate a tree together as a family. Have everyone bring something unique to add to the tree from ornaments to lights.
- Host a Potluck. Get together with friends, old and new, and have everyone bring a dish to the potluck. December 12th will become a night for special memories and great company.
- Visit a Museum. Explore the culture and history of December 12th at a nearby museum. Whether it’s a local museum or a place further out, you won’t be disappointed.
Beyond these celebratory ideas, there are many other ways to recognize the significance of December 12th. Some of these include:
- Organize a Craft Night. Invite friends and family over for an evening of arts and crafts. Choose winter-themed projects such as snowflake cutouts or create cards to catch up with old friends.
- Listen to a Podcast. Find a podcast related to December 12th, like its history or personal accounts, and learn something new.
- Stage a Concert. Whether it’s in your room or your backyard, put on a show for all your friends and family. Let everyone take turns playing their favorite songs.
- Go for Hike. Enjoy the outdoors one December 12th and go for a hike in the snow. Make sure to take along snacks for a tasty break during your journey.
However you decide to celebrate, make this December 12th special and memorable.
5. Make the Most of December 12th: Planning Ideas for Families and Friends
December 12th is an ideal time to get together with family and friends and plan something memorable to do. In this article, let’s look at some clever ideas to make the most of December 12th and to ensure that it is an occasion everyone will enjoy!
Gather for Games
Organizing a board game tournament, a card game challenge or any other family-friendly game is a great way to entertain everyone. Pick a game that everyone likes and make it a true contest – it will bring out the competitive side among friends and family and make it an even more enjoyable experience on December 12th!
Organize a Cooking Party
Everyone loves food. Why not challenge each one to bring a dish to the party? Cook different recipes from around the world and get everyone to vote for their favorite – this can become a permanent and fun tradition for the December 12th!
Create a Gift Exchange
It is the season of giving. Why not plan a fun gift exchange among family and friends? Each person can buy creative and thoughtful presents and exchange them. Other activities like Secret Santa or White Elephant could also be incorporated. This would make the event fun and memorable on December 12th!
6. Creative & Fun Ways to Celebrate December 12th
December 12th is a day worth celebrating! Here are 6 fun and creative ways to honor the date.
- Take a virtual vacation. Grab your passport and explore the world from the comfort of your living room. On the Twelfth of December, make it a goal to visit as many countries as you can in an hour.
- Create a December 12th playlist. Take some time to put together a compilation of your favorite songs or discover new ones. A festive soundtrack is a great way to set the tone for the day.
- Decorate your home. Spend the day sprucing up the interior with bright garlands, twinkle lights and poinsettias.
- Write fan mail to yourself. It’s time to give yourself the praise and recognition you deserve! Write a letter to your future self thanking them for being awesome.
- Learn something new. Take a lesson to master a skill you’ve always admired or blow off some steam with a dance class.
- Have a festive movie night. Pop some popcorn and get cozy as you take in your favorite holiday classics.
December 12th is the month’s last chance to get merry before the Holidays. There are so many ways to have fun, and these six are just the beginning! So don’t forget to celebrate the date in style and make it a day to remember.
7. A Brief Look into the Impact of December 12th: How it’s Impacted Lives
December 12th has been a pivotal day in recent history. It marks a momentous occasion that has impacted the lives of many around the world, in both small and big ways.
Memories and Commemoration: Each year, people gather on December 12th to remember and commemorate those affected by events of the day in history. Honoring those who have made the ultimate sacrifice and remembering the past is a way to come together to reflect on the impact of the day.
Legacy of Change: December 12th has left an enduring mark on many across the world that continues to be felt today. As a result of the day’s events, many people and nations have experienced a renewed sense of purpose and determination to make a lasting change in the world.
The Ripple Effect:
- The day has fostered collective action across countries toward greater freedom and equality.
- It has also led to increased awareness of issues such as poverty, political conflict, and access to health care.
- Ultimately, a wave of change has been created, with everyday people taking steps to make a positive difference in their local communities.
The effects of December 12th are far-reaching and will continue to be felt in generations to come. It stands as a reminder to us all of the importance of recognizing and honouring the impact of significant days in our collective history.
December 12th is a special milestone for many, from historical events to religious festivities. No matter what it represents for you, it’s always a wonderful reminder of all the joy that everyday life has to offer. Don’t forget to treasure every single moment before December 12th comes and goes!