We all love to move our bodies to the infectious beat of music, but how often do we really take a moment to stop and appreciate the lyrics? When “Why Don’t We” released their single “Look At Me”, the words immediately stood out as a reminder for us to appreciate ourselves. In this article, we will look closely at the empowering message within this single and why it resonates with us.
1. The Power of Eye Contact
Eye contact can be seen as a power play, an intimate gesture, or can make or break a situation. But, it can also be something else entirely. It can be a way for two people to connect on an emotional or spiritual level, a way to gain insight into one another without saying any words.
- It can allow us to understand the emotions of others without them needing to say anything
- It can create a feeling of trust, understanding, and intimacy between two people
- It can help us establish an unspoken rapport between one another, and feel comfortable
Unwavering Eye Contact Can Lead to Increased Understanding
When two people make eye contact, they can go beyond the conversational surface level to a deeper understanding of each other. If you look right into someone’s eyes and connect with them, you can gain insight into their thoughts, emotions, and character. This understanding can help us to better empathize with one another and build an emotional connection.
Eye contact also has the power to create a sense of understanding between two people without words. We can often tell what another person may be feeling by looking into their eyes, and when we make meaningful eye contact, we can often sense that the moment can benefit both parties. Unwavering eye contact can create a feeling of trust and understanding is rarely found in any other form of communication.
2. Unspoken Meanings in Looking Away
Humans are incredibly adept at communicating with each other, often without even using words. It’s not hard to read someone’s body language and express themselves in other ways. Of all these non-verbal gestures, one of the most telling is looking away.
When someone looks away, it means they’re no longer interested in the conversation, or they’re feeling uncomfortable. Many times, it’s the person’s way of conveying that they’re uncomfortable and want the other person to stop talking. To some, it can be seen as rude, yet it’s a subtle message that is often respected. That said, it’s important to know when looking away is not a sign of disinterest.
There are other unspoken meanings behind looking away. When a person looks away, it means they’re thinking. Whether it’s reflecting on something that was just said, or they’re considering their next words, looking away is a sign of contemplation. It can also show that a person is listening intently and taking in all the information being presented.
Finally, when someone looks away, it can mean they’re searching for something. They could be searching for an emotional connection, or some sort of reassurance. In such cases, looking away is a plea for acceptance or understanding.
3. The Intrigue of Observing You
The gaze of a spectator has always been a captivating thing, no matter what form it takes. Telescopes, cameras, microscopes, and even the naked eye have influenced human discovery for millennia, inviting us to explore the universe within and beyond our own planet. So what does it mean to observe someone or something, and can we ever truly understand what we are seeing?
- The act of watching carries a certain intrigue that reveals something new each time – a couple sitting on a park bench, a stranger’s vulnerable moment, a sunrise from a mountaintop. These glimpses of the unknown attract our attention and show us pieces of a greater story.
- As observers, we often form an infinite number of hypothetical scenarios in our minds. A certain person’s clothing or posture raise questions, inspiring us to speculate. We bring our own life experience to these scenarios and create a narrative, pulling us in further.
- This curiosity helps us understand the context of our observations and form lasting memories. We have the unique ability to see the world and its people from different points of view, nearly as if we are standing in the scene ourselves.
- This concept both intrigues and evokes our imaginations. Through observation, we uncover secrets and gain insight into human behavior and natural beauty. It is a powerful tool that allows us to appreciate the world around us.
4. Why Not Letting Me See?
In life, situations can arise that leave us feeling frustrated and stuck. We may be feeling like it’s impossible to move forward when everything seems to be against us. So, why aren’t we allowed to see clearly?
Sometimes we are asked to surrender and to have faith even when we can’t see what is ahead. Allowing ourselves to trust through the darkness can be so incredibly challenging. We want to have control, to know the outcome of our actions and to stay safe. But, we don’t hold the answers; no matter how hard we try.
There can be many hidden blessings that come when we accept things for how they are. Not being able to see is uncomfortable and scary but it can also serve us. Openness to the unknown invites a sense of pure possibility and trust. To be in a place of not knowing, we create space to be creative, to explore new avenues, and to live with a sense of greater openness.
Experiencing life without overthinking, we can live more insightfully and authentically. We are encouraged to develop patience and acceptance with ourselves and others. Often, not being able to see is what holds the answers, even if it doesn’t seem that way. Here are a few tips that can help us navigate the darkness:
- Remember that this too will pass
- Acceptance is a journey, be kind and understanding
- Recognize the stillness within
- Look to the wisdom of those around us
When we open ourselves to the reality of life and drop our agenda, our perspective shifts. Whether we see what’s ahead or not, we can still be willing to move forward with courage and faith.
5. Taking the Mystery Out of You
Have you ever looked inside yourself and asked: What do I really want in life? For many, the only thing keeping us from truly looking inward and understanding ourselves are the walls of the unknown. It’s normal to feel a little confused when it comes to understanding yourself and what you want, but it’s time to take the mystery out of the equation.
Ready to get to the bottom of who you are? Here are five tips to get to know yourself better:
- Explore different activities: There is no better way to learn who you are than to try out different activities. Don’t be scared to step out of your comfort zone and test the waters. Who knows what new hobby or skill you’ll find.
- Be Honest: Don’t be afraid to be honest with yourself. Note down your wants, thoughts, and feelings and really weigh them out. It’s only when you are honest and transparent can you really define why you do the things you do.
- Pay Attention to Dreams: Our dreams can really teach us more than we realize. Pay close attention to patterns in your dreams, the surreal meaning of dream settings and spend some time analyzing its relevance in your life. You never know what could be revealed.
- Find Your Group: It’s important to surround yourself with people who can actually relate to your feelings and experiences. Feels a bit lost? Find likeminded individuals and build from there.
There may never be an exact formula to understanding yourself completely, but these five tips are a great place to start.
Your journey to self exploration is your own, so take it slow and don’t overthink things. Before you know it you might find yourself looking back and thinking “Man, that was easier than I thought.”
6. Reconnecting With Yourself Through Eye Contact
Eye contact is the oldest way of re-establishing and deepening one’s connection to oneself. We often look away from ourselves in an attempt to avoid vulnerability or discomfort, and this avoidance can lead to a numb, disconnected feeling.
Eye contact is a powerful tool to reconnect to your innermost thoughts and feelings by making yourself the center of your own attention. In simple terms, when you practice eye contact with yourself, you’re allowing yourself to see, feel, and understand who you are and what you need without judgement or shame.
Practicing eye contact can be done in your own private space, whether it’s in front of a mirror or in a familiar place. As you focus on your own eyes, try to relax as if you were gazing at somebody you care deeply for. Imagine you are looking into your own soul and letting the gentle gaze flow through you. Allow the thoughts and feelings to arise and witness yourself without judgement.
- Breathe deeply and give yourself time to settle.
- Allow your body to relax with each breath.
- Be mindful of your thoughts – note them without getting tangled up in them.
- Remain in the present moment and witness yourself and the depth of your being.
Practicing eye contact is one of the most intimate ways to get comfortable in your own skin. It brings forth a constant reminder of how special, capable, and worthy we are despite our struggles.
7. Seeing Who I Really Am, By Seeing Me
So often we try to fit in and conform to the norm, but by just seeing ourselves for who we really are, we can start to form a deeper connection with ourselves.
Taking some time for self-reflection is key to understanding who we truly are and accepting our imperfections. We can explore different aspects of ourselves, and our strengths and weaknesses, just by setting aside some time to look inwards. Here are some helpful ways to do that:
- Look at old photos or videos that bring back sentimental memories.
- Write a list of our achievements and the qualities we admire about ourselves.
- Learn more about the things that make us unique, and why we are special.
- Create a vision board to remind us of our ambitions and dreams.
Whenever we reflect, remember not to be judgemental or hard on ourselves. It can take practice to show ourselves compassion and patience. The intention behind looking within should be kind and gentle. By opening our minds to the power of exploration and acceptance, we can start to learn, heal and get to know ourselves better.
We hope this article has opened your eyes to the many reasons why people should start ‘looking at me’. Despite the possible challenges discussed, the potential power of ‘looking at me’ is immense. It could just be the small act that leads us to a bigger, brighter world!