When you’re feeling under the weather, there’s nothing better than the comfort of curling up in bed with a movie and a tub of ice cream – or so you thought. With many coming to terms with the idea of masturbation in recent years, is it okay to include it as part of an illness-induced self-care routine? This article will give you everything you need to make the right decision on whether or not to masturbate when you’re sick.
1. Why Masturbation Can be Beneficial When Feeling Ill
Masturbation is an important part of many people’s sexual and physical health. Its associations with guilt, shame, and embarrassment from a sexual and moral perspective are gradually reducing. There is now growing recognition of the positive effects masturbation can have on one’s well-being. So, why is masturbation beneficial when feeling ill?
1. Pain Relief – Masturbation may be able to provide some relief from certain types of physical pain. A study found that 16.4% of women who masturbated experienced a decrease in pain symptoms.
2. Stress Reduction – Masturbation releases endorphins, which are hormones that promote relaxation and reduce stress. Studies have suggested this activity may lower cortisol levels, as well as reduce tension and anxiety, both of which can help you to feel better when you’re in a bad mood or feeling under the weather.
3. Better Sleep – When done before bedtime, masturbation is a great way to induce sleep. It serves as an effective sleep aid, as it can help to relax the body and mind. By releasing dopamine and other feel-good hormones, it can put you in a state of peacefulness that is conducive to sleep.
4. Increase Intimacy With A Partner – Many people use masturbation to supplement their experiences with their partners. Masturbating together can be a great way to reconnect with your partner and increase intimacy levels.
- It can also provide an outlet to explore fantasies and desires with your partner in a safe and comfortable setting.
- Masturbating for your partner can also be a great way to increase sexual satisfaction and pleasure.
2. The Pros and Cons of Engaging in Self-Love During an Illness
Finding a balance between self-care and understanding that it’s OK to feel emotions can be difficult when dealing with illness and it’s important to remember that it’s ok to practice self-love:
- It allows you to reconnect with yourself without judgement
- It can be an effective way of managing stress
- It can help to boost overall mental health
- It may cause feelings of guilt
- It can make it hard to motivate yourself
- It can also lead to an overall sense of apathy
Ultimately, it depends on your own feelings and lifestyle as to whether you think engaging in self-love during an illness can be beneficial or detrimental. For some, it can be a great tool to help them manage their illness and overall wellbeing, while for others it might lead to a sense of detachment from their emotions. It’s important to remember that everyone is different and should find what works best for themselves.
3. Examining the Research: What Scientists Say About Masturbation and Health
Masturbation is an important topic to discuss due to its relation to physical and psychological health, but it’s not often discussed in the public health discourse. That’s why it’s worth exploring what scientists have to say about masturbation and how it affects human health. Here’s a look at what the research says.
Physical Health Benefits
Scientists have discovered some incredible physical health benefits associated with masturbation. Most notably, masturbating may help reduce the risk of prostate cancer. Studies have also found that masturbation can help reduce stress, improve sleep quality, and increase fertility. Additionally, masturbating may even be beneficial in lowering the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Mental Health Benefits
It’s no secret that masturbation can help boost your mood, but did you know that it may also be beneficial for psychological health? Studies have revealed that people who masturbate regularly tend to have higher self-esteem and greater satisfaction with their overall life. Masturbation can also be linked to improved mental clarity and focus.
Risks and Limitations
While there are numerous potential health benefits of masturbation, it’s important to be aware of the possible risks and limitations. It’s possible to develop an addiction to masturbation, leading to unrealistic expectations and unhealthy behaviors. Additionally, too much masturbation can cause physical pain, as well as mental fatigue and stress. When indulging in self-pleasure, it’s important to recognize when to take a break and take care of yourself.
4. Handling Side-Effects and Discomfort: Advice for Sick-Day Masturbation
Masturbating when sick can be uncomfortable, but some breathing techniques can help reduce the body’s negative reactions. To help stay in control, focus on your breathing by inhaling deeply and exhaling slowly. You can also practice progressive muscle relaxation by tensing then releasing each muscle group, helping to relax the body while increasing blood flow.
Change Positions and Techniques
Trying out different positions or techniques can help make masturbation more comfortable. While lying down on your back is generally most comfortable when ill, trying a different angle, like side-lying or standing, can help prevent muscle strain and reduce discomfort. Or, alternatively, use a sex toy or lubricant to add sensation.
Use Trigger Words and Fantasize
Focus on something pleasurable by using trigger words or phrases. You might say positive encounters with partners or pleasurable sensations you’ve experienced . Trigger words can help bring energing feelings and help dissipate underlying anxiety. Using trigger words and fantasizing allows a person to focus on feeling good, rather than worry about illness.
Take Breaks as Needed
If pain or aches become too much, take a break and relax. You might try deep breathing or progressive muscle relaxation, or you can pause the activity and redirect your focus towards more pleasurableized sensations. Additionally, you can temporarily switch to mental stimulation and explore different levels of pleasure, helping to reduce anxiety while providing pleasure.
5. Creative Ways to Masturbate While Sick
When you’re feeling under the weather, it can be hard to find joy and fun in activities that usually bring you pleasure. Masturbation happens to be one such activity, which is why it’s important to find creative ways to enjoy it even when we’re feeling less than our best.
Here are 5 ideas for :
- Embrace slow-building intensity. When feeling weak, it can feel really good to embrace the process of slowly building up pleasure – it can be really soothing and restorative as well.
- Add a gentle massage. If you’re feeling particularly sore or achy, the simple act of focusing some of the time on gentle massage can be a really calming way to explore pleasure.
- Bring on your fantasies. Visualization can be a powerful tool, and we can engage all kinds of classic scenarios in our minds to conjure up pleasure and arousal.
- Take the time to tease. If you don’t feel like immediately reaching orgasm is on the cards, try using a mixture of simpler activities to tease yourself, like gentle stroking or lightly rubbing the areas around your genitals.
One of the great advantages of masturbation is that we can take it at our own pace and explore whatever feels pleasurable in a given moment. It’s worth remembering that even when we’re feeling under the weather, creative play can still provide us with some relief and comfort!
6. Staying Safe and Healthy: Choosing the Right Lubricant
Choosing the Right Lubricant is an important part of staying safe and healthy. While it’s often easy to overlook the importance of lubricants, they can have a huge impact on your comfort and safety.
When selecting a lubricant for your home, car, or any other appliance, it’s important to select the correct product. Lubricants can be available in various viscosities and chemical compositions – and each type has its own set of advantages and drawbacks.
Here are some tips for selecting the right lubricant for your needs:
- Read product labels carefully to make sure you’re buying the right type of lubricant.
- Consult with a professional if you’re uncertain or have questions about a product.
- Go for the highest-quality product you can afford – the benefits of buying quality far outweigh the cost savings.
More importantly, be sure to avoid any lubricants with harmful chemicals. Many lubricants contain additives that can be hazardous to your health. Be sure to research the product thoroughly before using it.
7. Physical or Mental: Avoiding Burnout from Masturbation While Unwell
For those who are experiencing physical or mental illnesses, masturbation can be a great way to release tension, reduce stress and achieve sexual satisfaction. Unfortunately, it can also lead to burnout if it becomes too frequent. Here are seven tips to help you avoid over-masturbation while unwell:
- Set boundaries. Before engaging in any masturbation activity, start by setting clear boundaries with yourself, such as establishing a maximum number of times per day or week. Try to respect these boundaries.
- Know your body’s limits. Pay attention to your body’s reaction to sexual activity. If you start to feel tired, your body is telling you that it needs some rest. Don’t ignore these signals.
- Listen to your emotions. Tune in to the emotions that precede and follow your masturbation activities. If you find yourself feeling anxious, irritable or depleted afterwards, these are signs that you should reduce your masturbation frequency.
- Pace yourself. Start by engaging in masturbation activities less frequently and focus on making each session as enjoyable and satisfying as possible. Explore different techniques, and allow yourself enough time between activities to recuperate and boost your sexual energy.
- Seek other sources of pleasure. Instead of relying exclusively on masturbation, re-think your approach to pleasure and focus on activities that stimulate you emotionally, mentally and physically.
- Focus on self-care. From exercising regularly and eating nutritious meals to spending time with friends and family, ensure that your self-care routine is a priority.
- Seek professional help. If you are struggling with an excessive addiction to masturbation and are unable to control it on your own, don’t hesitate to contact a psychiatrist or sex therapist.
Whether you’re dealing with physical or mental health issues, you can achieve sexual satisfaction without overindulging in masturbation. Start by recognizing that you’re worth more than just your physical pleasure, and take the steps to reach a healthy and satisfying lifestyle.
So, if you’re feeling a bit under the weather, don’t be too quick to give up on self-pleasure. With a bit of extra care and consideration, mastubation could be just the thing to help make you feel better!