What are the Tiny Ten in Hunting?
Hunting is a popular pastime for outdoorsmen and one of the most rewarding activities, with the potential for big game hunting experiences that last a lifetime. But while the big game, such as deer and turkeys, get all the press, there are actually many other species of animals that can be hunted in the wild. These “Tiny Ten” game species offer hunters a unique chance to test their skills and reward them for their efforts.
The Tiny Ten
The most commonly hunted Tiny Ten species are:
- Squirrels – Commonly hunted with a .22 rifle, squirrels have a acrobatic maneuverability and can be found in many habitats.
- Rabbits – Rabbits are fast and abundant, making them great for beginners or experienced hunters to hunt with a shotgun or bow.
- Quail – Quail are commonly found in the southern states and hunt with a shotgun.
- Crows – Crows are usually hunted during specific hunting seasons and they can be hunted with a shotgun or a rifle.
- Prairie Dogs – Prairie dogs are usually hunted in the western states with a rifle.
- Coyote – Coyotes usually inhabit areas where there are rabbits and large game and can be hunted effectively with a rifle or bow.
- Foxes – Foxes live in many areas and can be hunted with bow, rifle or shotgun.
- Badgers – Badgers live in the northern states and are hunted with a rifle or shotgun.
- Raccoons – Raccoons live in most states, often near water, and are typically hunted with a rifle or bow.
- Beavers – Beavers can be found in wetland areas and are usually hunted with a shotgun.
The Benefits of Tiny Ten Hunting
In addition to being an enjoyable pastime, hunting the Tiny Ten offers a number of benefits. Small game hunting typically allows for more hunting opportunities than big game hunting, which often requires waiting for years for a single opportunity. Additionally, for those with limited land or hunting areas, this can be a great way to fill the time by utilizing otherwise “scrub” land or certainities. Finally, small game hunting is also a great way to practice skills, hone one’s aiming abilities, and develop better proficiency and accuracy.
Where To Find Out More
The Tiny Ten offer hunters a variety of game species to test their skills on, and the rewards can be amazing. If you’re interested in learning more about small game hunting, there are several state game agencies and organizations that can provide information and support. Additionally, experienced hunters can be great resources and provide tips and strategies for a successful hunt.